Saturday, July 2, 2011

Guangzhou

I would like to start off by apologizing for not posting anything sooner. Brian has not had any new photos and I have been a bit wrapped up in closing financials for the month at work. Anyone who has done or is in an accounting role understands what I am talking about. I guess it has been good for me though..... It keeps my mind off Brian and the girls being in China....Only 5 more days and they will be home. They have finally made it to Guangzhou yesterday. They were very excited to meet up with the rest of the travel group..All of the families are from Alabama except for us and one other family from North Carolina. Our adoption agency is in Alabama so all the Alabama families had a chance to meet prior to travel which was nice. There is one family that adopted a 12 year old girl as well. Brian said it was really sad when they went to get their medical evaluations done. The 12 year old girl read her medical report from the orphanage and saw that they said she had dwarfism. The little girl said that is not true and became physically upset. Jael had to explain to her that sometimes the orphanages will lie on the applications to get the older kids adopted faster and not to worry. My heart just broke for that little girl. It took me back to when Jael told us that her orphanage said that families will give kids back if they are sick or bad. I can only imagine what was going through this poor girls head. After all she is 12 and once an orphan turns 14 in China they can no longer be adopted. What a burden for a little child to carry. The comforting part is that Brian said the girl is the same size as Ting Li and it does not appear she has this condition at all. The parents were very surprised when they met her on Gottcha Day. So obviously Ting Li had her medical evaluation and she only ended up needing 3 shots. The clinic said that the Yangzhou orphanage is vry good about keeping the children's immunizations up to date so very little are required from there. Overall she did good with the shots but Brian said she did cry a bit.
I talked to them on Skype and it is very exciting to talk to her. She has a high pitched voice and it is so funny when she says Noooooooooo. She goes up in pitch on every oh. She told me today that my shirt was black, Jael's was purple, and her's was white. And everytime I talk to her she always wants me to know 3 things:

1. She wants her ears pierced.
2. She wants to grow her hair long like Jael.
3. She cant wait to see me.

Brian says she asks Jael if Mommy and Daddy will hit her in America...So sad? She talks alot about how much they hit her in the orphanage and Brian says when he lifts his arm to hug her she flinches alot like she is scared he will hit her. I know in time this will change but until then my heart goes out to her. Overall she is a pleaser and wants to do right. It will be alot easier to set ground rules once they come home but until then Brian does his best to correct what he needs to and overlooks what can be handled in time.

1 comment:

  1. Reading your post is giving me flashbacks from our life three years ago! We had those same questions and the flinching from our daughter and it is truly a heartbreaker. Regarding the dwarfism, that can also refer to the lack of growing. Our Leah has pituitary dwarfism...other than slow growth there are no symptoms like you would expect. She needs to take growth hormone shots for that. Sounds like Brian is doing great!!

    ReplyDelete